Things I’ve Learnt about One and a Half Year Olds
Baby Z seems to be developing at a rate of the speed of light. Its sometimes little things that you would miss if you didn’t look closely but then you realise things like he’s developed a sense of humour! Toddlers have a sense of humour! Did you know that? Their own unique one as well. Half mimicking what they see mixed with their own cheeky little charm. Did you know that?? I didn’t!
Then there’s the other end of the spectrum. Did you know they can quite easily have about 5 tantrums in the space of an hour? I actually vaguely heard about this but never realised you sometimes actually have to hold on tight whilst they are flinging themselves about like mini body surfers at some rock concert. I feel like we’ve officially walked through the door into Toddlerdom.
These are just some of the things I’ve learnt about Toddlers over the last few months:
- They have the energy of about 10 Tiggers. As well as the happiness
- They will immediately repeat something you say and possibly fake laugh too just to copy you
- If they can’t they’ll quite happily make it up and babble, wanting your full attention
- They will refuse all types of food and seemingly survive off about 3 strawberries and a handful of sweetcorn
- A part of you reasons that they will eat when they are hungry. Another part of you (about 90%) will worry and have you chasing them with different snacks all day.
- Every day you will say to your OH “He looks different today doesn’t he?”
- They will demand things at the most inappropriate times threatening epic tantrum if you don’t give it. Like milk in the car whilst you’re driving.
- They will drink about half (after you’ve handed it safely to him) and then bathe themselves in the rest. And there’s nothing you can do about it.
- They will entertain with singing and talking for the entire journey, even at 7am
- They will possibly demand you join in Twinkle Twinkle and do the flashing hands.
- They have the ability to wrap Granny and Grandad around their little finger
- Actually, they are the boss of everyone. The entire family is wrapped around that little finger.
- They will make Granny push them around on a desk chair and scream “Weeeeee” excitedly
- Granny will gladly do it for hours on end.
- They will go for weeks without seemingly any further speech development.
- Then they’ll amaze you one day by saying about 10 different words in succession
- You will try to get them to “perform” this latest trick when at someone else’s house
- This will be met by silent stare.
- They can have the most spectacular looking tantrums like the world has ended. Then 10 seconds later they are fine again.
- This can happen multiple times in one day.
- They will attempt to climb the radiator and be happy just hanging off it if they can’t manage it
- They have their OWN sense of humour.
- They think its fun to jump off EVERYTHING.
- They will figure how to spill from that super duper non spill cup with “lip detection technology”.
- They love the word “MINE!” Used regularly when holding your phone, ipad, playstation controller, TV remote and handbag.
- You are required to then chase toddler around the room whilst they scream excitedly at their game.
- They have a knack for hiding the remote very well but won’t be able to locate it again which can be annoying
- They can do the same with their dummy but a baby 6th sense will track it down within minutes
- They can run for hours if you let them
- That still won’t make them nap on time
- Not all toddlers sleep through, even at 18 months!!
- They will constantly make you wonder where their amazing little personality is coming from
- Some days you will think “Wow, he looks / behaves just like me”
- Some days you will think “Wow, he looks / behaves just like his daddy”
- Gazing at your sleeping child, even after 18 months, never gets boring